A man is clinically diagnosed with low sperm count when he has fewer than 15 million sperm per millitre of semen,according to the NHS.It is medically known as Oligozoospermia. It is the leading cause of male infertility all over the world.
On a normal, it only takes a sperm to fertilise an egg,but the probability of meeting this egg can be slim,and thus, the more sperm you have,the better one’s chances.
WHAT CAUSES LOW SPERM COUNT?
Obviously, the reasons are not well known, but there a lot of factors that could lead to low sperm count.
– Previous infections,especially STD’s that must have caused damage or blockage to the male reproductive system
– Excessive intake of alcohol, smoking and hard drugs consumption.
– Varicocele,which are enlarged veins in the testicles.
– Hormonal Imbalance, which may be as a result of reduced reproductive hormone production.
– Previous Surgery,such as hernia repairs,or surgery done on the testicles.
– Being Overweight
– Genetic problems like Klinefelters syndrome
– Cryptorchidism (having undescended testes as a child).
WHAT DO I DO TO PREVENT AND INCREASE MY SPERM COUNT?
– Get enough exercise and sleep: Exercise aids in improving the fluid flow of the body system and reduces the risk of having blockages.
– Avoid excessive consumption of alcohol as to increase the sperm count in your body system.
– Reduce the intake of certain medications as they pose a risk of reducing sperm count, drugs such as anti-psychotics,steroids,opiates,etc.
– Treat completely any infection (e.g Chlamydia, prostatitis, etc) and STD’s ,this is because leaving them untreated will cause harm in long term.
– Visit the Doctor