Every child born today has a day he/she will die.Literally, every human has a life span.In the life of a female,there are different stages of development and eventually,senescence, from infancy to puberty and subsequently to menopause.
Menopause is the cessation of a woman’s menstrual cycle.It is a period of time when a woman is no longer able to give birth to children asides being infertile.
It usually begins as early as 40 years and as late as 65,the average age being 51 years.It is properly diagnosed when menstruations cease for about 12 months.
WHAT CAUSES MENOPAUSE?
A woman is born with a particular number of eggs in her ovaries.The ovary releases one egg in every menstrual cycle whether it is fertilised or not.With aging,these ovaries begin to decrease in their function.
This also occurs simultaneously with the reduced production of progesterone and estrogen (reproductive hormones that triggers the lining of the womb to grow so as to accommodate a fertilised egg).
WHAT AM I TO EXPECT DURING MENOPAUSE?
Menopause is not a disease, but a biological processes and experience every lady goes through as she ages.
The most common of them includes;
1) Hot flushes:this comes with the feeling of being hot as well as bothered,chills,etc.
2) Increased Urination: This occurs due to the decreased production of estrogen,and also increases the urgency.
3) Mood swings: This cannot be underated, that feeling of depression, being anxious and so on occurs due to the fluctuation in the hormonal levels.It could also lead to insomnia.
4) Dryness of the Vagina: The decrease in estrogen has a lot of effects in the body especially the reproductive system.The vaginal tissue becomes dry and sometimes irritated,eventually causing painful sex due to the friction,and has a probability of leading to Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs).
5) Decreased Libido: As a younger woman,there is this intense desire and drive for sex,its not surprising to understand that the reduction in reproductive hormone levels and vaginal dryness causes the decrease in the drive for sex.