Yeast infections generally occur more in women. A vaginal yeast infection is a common fungal infection that causes irritation and inflammation, discharge and makes intense itches of the vagina and vulva – the tissues at the vaginal opening.
Vaginal Yeast infections are very common, happening to over 1 million women in the U.S each year. Throughout every female’s life time,you may experience a vaginal yeast infection several times.
FACTS ABOUT YEAST INFECTIONS
1) They are also called vulvovaginal candidiasis
2) They are NOT STDs
3)They can also happen in males,around the penis and scrotum region
4) Yeast infections are not contagious
5) They can also happen on other parts of the body such as the mouth,throat,tongue, and when they do,they are called THRUSH.
YEAST INFECTION CAUSES
The loss of chemical balance in your vagina can cause candida to multiply. This could happen for a lot of reasons.
1) When taking an antibiotic medication that’s treating,let’s say,a UTI (Urinary Tract Infection),good bacteria could be harmed,which was responsible for keeping the yeast in check.
2) For patients with diabetes, there is a surplus of sugar thus allowing room for more bacteria to be bred.
3) During pregnancy, your body’s hormonal system is not balanced and can affect the pH system of the vaginal duct.
4) Certain diseases like HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis can lead to a weakened immune system, thus giving more grounds for bacteria to grow.
YEAST INFECTION SYMPTOMS
The most common symptoms of vaginal yeast infection are
-Thick white discharge
-Pain/Soreness in the vagina or vaginal opening.
-Vaginal burning with intercourse or urination.
YEAST INFECTION TREATMENT
Usually these yeast infections are treated with antifungal drugs such as Fluconazole, Co-trimoxazole, etc.They could be taken either orally or as a suppository.
It’s very important to see the doctor so as to be informed on the severity.
YEAST INFECTION PREVENTION
The occurrence of yeast infections could be reduced if the following are done:
– Avoid douching
– Do not use feminine deodorant/deodorant pad/tampons.
– Ladies should wear underwear (especially panties) made from cotton or other natural fibres.
– Change wet clothing once it’s noticed
– Eat a healthy diet,this cannot be overemphasized.