Have you heard about hernias? Do you think you might have one? Think of a hernia like a bulge in a damaged tire.
The inner tube or soft tissue is normally contained by the abdominal wall, so if there is a leak or weak spot, the soft tissue can protrude through.
Hernias happen when abdominal contents (probably an organ or a tissue (such as an intestinal loop) pushes through an opening or weak spot in the muscle wall. It causes a bulge or even a lump (you should not confuse this with cancerous lump).
SO WHAT THE HECK IS HERNIA?
Hernia is a protrusion of ,usually the abdominal contents when there is a weakness or perhaps a tear in the muscle wall.
This abdominal wall is made of about three muscle layers,and it’s contents are efficiently packed, mostly the intestines.
So any tear or weakness in the abdominal wall will cause these contents spilling out.
EYE OPENING FACTS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT HERNIA
1. You’re not the total cause of your hernia, irrespective
of the fact that heavy weight lifting induces it.
It most likely happens when there is a weak spot in the make-up of your abdominal wall.
2. Most hernias are not hurtful. Yes, they do not cause pain especially if it’s bigger. The only way you can feel pain is provably when it’s getting squeezed (especially the strangulated ones).
But then, mind you, even if it’s not painful,doesn’t mean it doesn’t require medical attention,because a hernia doesn’t fix itself.
3. People with hernias usually go around their daily business without bothering (which is not good as I’ve said earlier) until it becomes stuck or loses blood supply (strangulated),then it gets to be an emergency requiring immediate medical intervention.
THE MOST COMMON LOCATION FOR HERNIA IS
…usually the abdomen, with inguinal hernia being the most common, accounts for two-thirds of all hernias. And about 90% of these inguinal hernias are found in males.
Why is that so?
The area where inguinal hernias occur is the opening through which the testicles descend during fetal development. It usually closes up before birth except for a small space allowing the spermatic cord to pass to the scrotum.
If it doesn’t close properly, it can leave a natural weakness that can bulge or tear later on.
TYPES OF HERNIA
The most common type of hernia includes inguinal; femoral; umbilical; incisional; epigastric and even hiatal hernia.
– Inguinal hernia: this occurs when a small portion of the bowel comes out through the inguinal canal (an opening in the abdominal muscle wall) usually the contents are either intestinal loops or fatty tissue.
– Femoral hernia: the contents bulge out from the lower belly into the upper thigh just below the groin crease often mistaken to be the inguinal type and occurs more in women.
– Umbilical hernia: occurring more in infants, part of the intestine, fluid or fat pushes through a weak spot that is close to the belly button or navel.
– Incisional hernia: It happens after surgery done over months or possibly years because these individuals may be older, might have had a wound infection after the surgery, had more than one surgery using the same incision, or may have been on steroids.
– Epigastric hernia: usually when fat bulges out from a weak part of the belly wall, particularly in the middle of the abdomen between the breast bone and the navel.
– Hiatal Hernia: occurs when the stomach bulges up from the diaphragm and into your chest (where your heart and lungs are seated). This is unique because it does not involve the intestines.
CAUSES OF HERNIA
There are many reasons why you can develop a hernia. The major cause is that some individuals are born with a weak spot in their abdominal wall, this accounts for more than 50% of the causes of this problem.
Mechanical causes could be as a result of improper heavy weight lifting, hard coughing bouts, sharp blow to the abdomen, trauma and wrong posture.
Also, there are facts that increases the intra-abdominal pressure, such as obesity, straining due to constipation or when urinating (could be due to enlarged prostate too), fluid in the abdominal cavity, chronic lung disease.
YOU ARE MORE LIKELY TO HAVE HERNIA IF YOU
• a dull ache;
• tingling or
• burning sensation around the your abdomen, groin or scrotum.
• a soft bulge in the groin area or scrotum, that you can push back with little pressure.
• a bigger bulge when you bend, lift or strain.
IT IS URGENT OR DEMANDS IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION WHEN
– you have a swelling that is located either in the groin, abdomen or scrotum that cannot be pushed back inside.
– the swelling is red, purple or dark.
– you have pain, fever, chills along side with the bulge.
SO WHAT AM I TO DO?
Primarily, the best intervention to a diagnosed case of hernia is surgical repair. The earlier it’s done, the better and the less likely it is to reoccur.
Asides that, there are some home remedies to get relief from hernia;
1. Aloe vera
Aloe vera has anti-inflammatory and soothing properties. It acts as a natural pain reliever when one is suffering from a hernia. For effective results, drink a glass of aloe vera juice.
It can be drunk empty stomach in the morning. Aloe vera is also good for treating hernia if it is consumed between meals. The liquid of aloe vera can also be applied to the affected part.
2. Taking short and light meals
Changes in diet are good for getting relief from hiatal hernia. This will not make it go away but will reduce its severity.
So if you are facing hiatal hernia, take short and light meals. Don’t lie down, bend over after eating and keep your weight in the healthy range.
3. Castor seed oil
Over the years, castor seed oil has been used for treating stomach-related illness as it prevents inflammation and indigestion. You can make a castor seed oil pack and apply it on the stomach to get some relief from the pain of hernia.
4. Ice pack
In case of hernia in the abdomen or groin, there can be redness, inflammation and pain. And ice will help reduce it. Applying ice pack on the affected area will reduce contraction, pain and inflammation.
5. Vegetable juice
One of the effective ways to treat hernia is drinking a glass of vegetable juice. The nutrients and anti-inflammatory substances present in vegetables can soothe the pain and burning symptoms.
SOME EXERCISES TO PREVENT HERNIA
A hernia occurs usually as the muscles are not strong enough to hold back organs and there are some exercises that one can do at home to strengthen his/ her muscles and prevent hernia.
A word of caution will be avoiding heavy lifting, pushing and pulling exercises as they can create an opposite impact.
Exercises such as
1. Cycling exercise.
2. Pool exercises for light resistance.
3. Walk for 30 minutes: Walk for about 30 minutes a day briskly. It will strengthen your lower and upper abdomen.
4.Yoga: it can always be helpful for preventing it but it should only be done if one can comfortably do the strenuous asanas otherwise a professional’s advice must be sought before trying these poses.
WILL HERNIA EVER GO AWAY?
It can, there is a high probability that it will go away for good. But such is vastly hinged on early repair without further complications.
If it is left untreated, the pain might become severe. A portion of your intestine can also get trapped in the abdominal wall. This can cause severe pain, nausea and constipation.
An untreated hernia can also put excessive pressure in surrounding tissues. If the trapped area of intestines doesn’t get enough blood, strangulation might be caused. This can be life-threatening and therefore a doctor’s help must be sought.